Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Day 2

Upon landing in Casablanca, I immediately could feel the warm air signaling our arrival in Africa. Our customs process was interesting. First impressions: the advertisements on the walls are in French and in Arabic and this terminal has no air conditioning...guess I'll be reading in French a lot more and I will be hot all the time....yikes! What have I gotten myself into.

We cued up with the other travel weary passengers from our Air France flight. The Moroccan custom officers in blue uniforms were waiting to process us. Each officer peered out at us from behind a clear glass window--they looked ready. I could not help but notice a sticker on the glass that read, "smile you are in Casablanca." AWESOME!

The whole customs process was odd and the officials kept asking us to switch lines.  I tried my best to remain patient.  I was the last person from our group to go through customs, which made me think what if I get stopped and everyone else gets into Morocco?! I grew even more nervous when everyone disappeared downstairs, leaving me behind.

At the airport baggage area our group assembled for the first time- 12 educators and our
guide Donna. Second impression:  Moroccans are loud! At the baggage claim area two men appeared to be loudly arguing. It appeared to be heated exchange over a suitcase. In actuality it was just an over exaggerated greeting. I am always somewhat nervous my luggage will not arrive (its happened before). This time I located my bag with ease and joined the group in no time.

In the lobby outside of the airport, Halima, our other group guide and her husband were ready to greet us. She hugged each of us and introduced us to her family. Halima and her family live in America, but they return each summer to Morocco to visit family.  I began to realize how tired I was; I didn't sleep on the plane (good movies?!).  I also blame the expresso I bought at the airport in Paris.  The smell drifted in my direction, it was hard to resist...

Before leaving the airport, Halima took our group to get Dirhams, the Moroccan currency.  Third impression: the exchange rate is $1.00 to 8.25 Dirhams; I am going to have lavish monetary cushion to buy souvenirs!!  Then we ventured into the sunny cloudless sky and gathered at the Moroccan telecom booth.  Several of us purchased SIM cards. Which leads to my fourth impression: Moroccans talk fast!! I have no clue what was said by Halima's husband, though I now have 3G internet access. Gotta have internet!   I will write more in a few days...Massalama!

The Traveling Educator

2 comments:

  1. You write beautifully. I am able to picture your experience in my mind's eye....safe travels...

    ReplyDelete