Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Day 1

Well here it is my first attempt at a blog. I am currently riding on a bumpy train bound for NYC. Tonight I will board an Air France flight bound for Paris and then after a brief layover I will fly to Casablanca. I am beyond excited to meet the group of Fulbrighters at the airport. I hope they are as excited as I am. My curiousity for the road that lies ahead is pushing me forward but I am also a little nervous too! I have traveled internationally many times both solo and with groups. My soundtrack for this trip is tune in radio sounds of the 70s. This is my super jammy happy traveling music. I keep thinking of the scene in the film Almost Famous- Where the lead character buys a one way ticket to Morocco. This trip feels exotic and fabulous!

The purpose of this trip is to learn modern standard Arabic. We will also learn about Moroccan culture and history. The program will aid the development of curriculum to support educating culturally diverse students. We will also work to raise awareness for the Moroccan education system. We will have opportunities to visit with educators and schools to discuss critical issues in education. It is my hope to be able to establish a lasting connection with educators to continue a global education experience. A part of this project is to share my work educators upon returning to the US and promote the creation of curriculum that is culturally responsive. It will examine the culture of middle eastern countries to compare and contrast their daily life and viewpoints to break down stereotypes. I have gifts to give to each of the educators I meet; a high gloss book about the city of Meriden and a bumper sticker that says Washington Middle School. I will also stay with a family and I bought the family a small gift as well. I went to a local shop called Daybreak Coffee Roast Co. I had the barista chose his favorite blend. To accompany the coffee I purchased a mug with a red lobster that reads Connecticut. I have heard that most Moroccans drink mint tea so I hope they will enjoy American coffee. I hope you will enjoy following me and I will write more soon!

The Traveling Educator

1 comment:

  1. I will be on the 'blog' tour with you. Perfect gifts you have chosen for the people you will meet! Looking forward to following you each day...

    ReplyDelete